This Local Business week, we’re celebrating the importance of supporting local businesses. Workforce has eight branches across the West Midlands in town and city center locations and we know how important high streets are to local people and the local economy. In fact, a recent piece of research has shown that Birmingham is the best city in the UK for small businesses, and we’re proud to say that we have a branch right in the heart of the city!
We’ve put together a list of six reasons on why you should shop locally.
- Local economy: Research shows that just £10 spent with a local independent shop means £50 back into the local economy. This means that you can indirectly make a big impact on your local community without it costing you much.
- Creating local jobs: When there’s an increase in demand, there always an increase in supply. Buying locally can boost the employment rates in your area by increasing the need for more workers.
- The environment: The lure of next-day delivery makes it hard to resist online shopping. However, when you total the costs of that delivery on the environment, packaging and the fuel to transport the goods, buying local is much better for the environment.
- Encouraging Entrepreneurs: Shopping locally supports local entrepreneurs and by helping their businesses to grow, you’ll be helping the local economy by increasing the number of jobs in your area.
- Helps add character to your local area: The local businesses in your high streets give your community a uniqueness that won’t be found anywhere else, helping to attract tourists and visitors.
- Local business for local charities: A lot of local businesses support charities that are relevant to your area. Not only are you helping your community thrive economically, but you are also increasing charitable donations.
We’d to love know the local businesses in your area that you support. Let us know the names of your favorite local business and what services/goods they provide!
Find us on Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram, and feel free to tweet, share and like this post.